
Passenger é como um ofício a um novo ciclo. Mas dessa vez você entra nesse ciclo mentalmente exausto. Como se tudo que você tinha houvesse sido tirado, sobrando apenas as reações e dores que foram adquiridas com o processo de cada uma delas sendo retiradas.
Então, o eu-lírico tenta se livrar ao menos da imagem do passado com um novo ambiente, novas pessoas e uma nova forma de agir. Guardando pra si todo o seu drama e sobrepondo nele uma imagem de alguém desprendido, livre, sem paixões ou zelos específicos. Talvez com aquela mentalidade de “finja até se tornar” por querer realmente ser aquilo que mostra, mas talvez por querer trancafiar tudo que o machucou nos ciclos passados para si.
Descrevendo-se como um passageiro, o eu-lírico discorre seus pensamentos sobre seu passado a cada fragmento da canção, mostrando-se apenas um espectador da felicidade, experiência e feitos das pessoas que agora fazem parte da sua vida, achando interessante a forma com que elas conseguem perseverar e viver as suas vidas avidamente, enquanto ele apenas fica estático, mas mantendo a sua imagem criada por si mesmo. De modo geral, “Passenger” é uma melancolia contemporânea que mostra que nem sempre novos ciclos podem significar que sua energia será renovada. Talvez você esteja exausto de viver, e isso intensifica sua exaustão.
(Intro - Alex Fleming, Spoken)
I think life's a misery disguised as unattainable possibilities
With attractive guys and tempting desires making you stay,
But in the end it's so lonely here
You know what? I need to see what others feel…
(Verse 1)
I wave to people and hum "good morning"
Carrying a bit of my skin in my pockets
They don't know me from across town,
Nor what I hide behind my voice,
So I can adopt an observer's stance
I settle on a bench with guitar riffs gracing my left ear
Several voices overlapping in a synergy charged with craving
So many different faces, it scares me at times,
So many beams of light coupling into things opposite to what I like,
But I just keep my voice acting passively
(Pre-chorus 1)
Boys smoking cigarettes as they breathe,
Girls smelling of alcohol and insecurities,
While I just whistle self-deprecating jokes in harmless words,
So no man is attracted to me,
And no one suspects my past,
Don't you think?
(Chorus)
These months I've only failed as a man,
So let me hide under the smoke of these strangers
These years I wanted a little understanding,
So let me pretend I have it instead of anger
Take the marks of pessimism to the nurse,
She should know how to fix me better than the last boy
In this life I only acted like a passenger,
So let me continue my role uninterrupted
(Interlude - Unknown Woman's Voice)
Alex, have you ever loved someone before?
What makes your heart soar lately?
Nothing? Nobody? That sounds strange
All right, if that's what you say...
(Verse 2)
I walk the streets of the suburbs talking 'bout the nightmare I had last night
A bright green-eyed boy in a garden,
Red lips and a shrill smile,
Who would soon become a fucking pessimist,
And they start laughing, they don't know who he really is
But no, don't take me as a dramatic guy
Talking about myself in the third person takes a load off my back
And I like to make people laugh, especially when they try to make me smile,
Even if that attitude is flawed in every way
At the end of the day, I'll always be a passenger wiped out by existence itself
(Pre-chorus 2)
So we settle down in a bar and the fire starts,
And I watch the girls kissing the girls, the boys kissing the boys
While I take a shot of Redneck Hollywood and feel the slightest bit aroused
Did you know that I never felt that sexual attraction was all that?
I even laugh about my experiences when they cross my mind,
I always did my best to wait for what really brought me pleasure (little did I know, don't you think?)
(Chorus)
These months I've only failed as a man,
So let me hide under the smoke of these strangers
These years I wanted a little understanding,
So let me pretend I have it instead of anger
Take the marks of pessimism to the nurse,
She should know how to fix me better than the last boy
In this life I only acted like a passenger,
So let me continue my role uninterrupted
(Bridge)
And while they have fun, I synthesize more introspection
On the outside looks like I handle, but inside I'm so damn fragile
"I'm quiet on my own, have fun" is what I say
While another shot of alcohol burns my body and make me sweat
I ask for a moment, go to the bathroom and look in the mirror
That's how I motivate myself to continue the theater,
Staying true to the role of passenger
(Verse 4)
And the day ends with everyone satisfied, except me
But I'm still a little reassured to know that they're not suspicious of it
I go back to where everybody knows me and spend the night writing another song,
I don't talk 'bout what I did, I just say that the day was good,
In the end, no one cares 'bout what you feel,
'Til one day you explode, that's the deal
(Chorus)
So these months I've only failed as a man,
And I won't stop hiding under their smoke
In those years I wanted a little understanding,
Now I've learned that pretending to understand me is less complicated
"Alex, take the performance marks to your room
He should know how to hide his secret better than anyone"
In this life I only acted as a passenger,
So let me continue my role without interruption,
Until I decide to change
(Outro)
So it really is a misery…
Next chapter!

'Passenger' CD
$12,89

'Passenger' Orange Vinyl
$25,89

'Passenger' Cassette Tape
$19,89